Monday, December 7, 2009

Saint Leo





No, I am not going to blog about a saint on the Roman Catholic or any other roster.
The saint I do want to write a bit about is our dog Leo.
I know that in the Catholic church, there are certain requirements for the title of "saint."
Among them are the working of miracles, and the ability to communicate the goodness and presence of God in a remarkable way.
Leo certainly meets these requirements, as well as other criteria not found on any official list.
He has the virtues of the saints: patience, unconditional love, nobility of character, spiritual intelligence, kindness, super-awareness and alertness, and the ability to bring out the best in people and give joy wherever he goes. How many of us humans have these virtues in a constant, readily observable manner?
I said once in a sermon that my dog was a great spiritual director, and at this time of year, I am especially grateful for the gift of Leo's presence in our lives. As John often says, he has brought us a lot of joy.
Here are a few things I am currently grateful he is teaching me as my spiritual director:
1. Relax and take a break often enough to keep yourself calm and focused. Just being is at least as good, if not better, than doing, doing, doing.
2. Befriend children and spend time with them. They are also superior spiritual directors and teachers, like my grandson Philip, who is pictured here with Leo on the beach on Lake Michigan. Both Leo and Philip teach me to take great pleasure in the simple experiences of life rather than in things that can be purchased: a walk on the beach (or anywhere in nature);
the warmth of sun on one's skin/fur; the smells of water and trees; the enjoyment of one's body and good health; the treasure of friendship.....and so much more. You can continue the list for yourself.
3. Take time to ponder the depth of meaning in your everyday experiences. Don't skate heedlessly over the surface of life.
4. Its not so bad being leashed to people you love. There are coyotes out there you don't want to tangle with.
5. And of course, LIVE IN THE PRESENT. IT IS A GREAT GIFT TO BE SAVORED.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Marti! Great to see Leo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howie guru baba :) LOVE your blog mama!! Howard says its great to teach people like us. I just went to his favorite park where he pretends he can't hear me when I call him. There are too many things to sniff. We both have great memories of Odie chasing squirrels there. Even to the last day of Odies life, there was still energy to sniff and chase squirrels. Howie tells me this is a good park for ME to sit and be still in. Besides, he needs a little independent time away from my constant hugging and holding.
    He taught me today to be in the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete