Wednesday, March 24, 2010

turtle attraction?



There's the Law of Attraction....which has been getting lots of attention in some circles lately.
And there are other attractions; beauty of all kinds; delicious foods; exciting shows; etc. etc.
But turtles???
You see, I have a turtle purse/backpack. I found it one time at Saugatuck Drug Store, just hanging around in there, and thought it would make a unique and fun purse. I was in one of my "second childhood" moods, and so I bought it and have been using it ever since.
On the first day I was carrying it around, I went with a friend to a restaurant nearby for lunch. A little girl was at a nearby table with her family, and couldn't take her eyes off that turtle. Finally, she plucked up the courage to come over to where I was sitting and say, "I really like that turtle! What is her name?"
"Well," I replied, "I just got it and haven't thought of one yet. What do you think would be a good name?"
Without missing a beat, the girl replied, "Shelley, of course."
I smiled. "Shelley it is! Thank you for finding such a good name for her," I replied as the little girl skipped off with a satisfied smile. I have since added the last name "Turtelle." It seemed fitting to me. Shelley Turtelle. The perfect backpack.
I take her with me everywhere I go. She makes a great purse. It is amazing how much stuff you can put in her. And she makes a good pillow on the plane, and a good backrest when I am out hiking, because she cushions my back when I lean against a big rock or tree to rest. She is also a good big city purse, because no self respecting purse snatcher would be seen running through the streets carrying a turtle backpack obviously meant for kids!
I notice that often when I am shopping, and put her on the counter to get out my money, the clerk or check out person will give me a big smile and say "Wow. A turtle! Where did you get that? My sister(or daughter or friend or whoever) LOVES TURTLES. " Fellow hikers also seem to enjoy remarking on my turtle back pack, especially the kids. I do admit that my good friend Sharon is usually embarrassed by this quirk of mine, but tolerates it with good humor.
My question is "What is the attraction to turtles?" I did not get Shelley Turtelle because I just love turtles. It was just a backpack/purse that seemed like a fun idea....but had there been some other suitable critter, like a big ladybug or something, I might have picked that.
Turtles crawl into their shells when they are afraid. They carry their homes with them. That has to get heavy sometimes. They are reptiles. They have been around for eons. They are really, really slow. They can get pretty snappy if you annoy them. They try to cross roads. Not too bright. They are not affectionate or fun to have around, in my opinion. And then there's the curious fact that North America is called Turtle Island in some Native American traditions. What's that about? Any ideas as to the attraction of turtles?
I'll be waiting for your comments!

2 comments:

  1. The Chinese believe that the turtle has the secret of heaven and of earth within its body. In Hawaii turtle has a meaning of long life. It is also a creature known to bring positive energy. Too some it is healing and rebith. Some, it is Mother earth. So I would have to say it was a wise purchase since all of us could use any of those things at some point in our life. Well, I'm off to buy a turtle, need all the help I can get. Thanks Marchiene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our place we have discovered is a veritable turtle haven. In the last two years we have spotted 4 varieties of turtles in the yard. 3 of whom where laying eggs there. We have seen at least one clutch hatch. Sighting the turtles in the yard is so joyful. They just "feel" special.
    It encourages slow contemplative time watching the turtles traverse our space.

    ReplyDelete