Friday, April 3, 2009

A mermaid in my shower?



I have the pleasure of enjoying the beauty of this mermaid watching over me as I take my bath or shower.   It was a gift from a friend.  I smile and think of her whenever I see it.   I am reminded that one of the delights of life can be the unexpected and quirky.  Deliver me from the routine and conventional, except in small doses!  
I have always been a lover of myths and fairytales, from early childhood on. The idea that a mermaid might visit me in my shower keeps me connected to that child like sense of wonder and openness to possibilities that the grown up world of our culture usually dismisses as nonsense.  
     That's why I also have pictures of crop circles on my kitchen cupboards here in Sedona.
(If you haven't heard of crop circles, google 'em")
     And in Michigan, my kitchen cupboards have painted on them figures from my imagination, which enliven the atmosphere considerably!  
     When I go hiking, I sometimes feel that there are invisible spirits along the way, and sometimes my camera catches them! (see picture above)
      When I was in Egypt, I took a picture on the night of my birthday from the balcony of our hotel, from which I could see the pyramids, which were faintly lit and visible in the distance.
I got a lot more than pyramids on the picture!"  Light beings," is what a friend of mine calls them.  What do you think?
     There are those who believe that a thin "veil" separates the physical dimension in which we live from other dimensions which are all around us, but usually not visible to our untrained senses.  The perspective of Native Americans and other Original Peoples world wide, is that physical "things" like animals, mountains, rocks, trees, insects, etc. etc. have a spirit within them, as do humans, and that one can learn how to see and interact with them.   Left brain western scholars sometimes dismiss this as "animism." I like the way poets and story tellers look at it.  One of my favorites isJ.R.R. Tolkien, who wrote a little book called "Everything is Alive."  I think he is right!  
     Little children, of course, live in this magical world of imagination, until it gets educated out of them in our society.  As I age, I am enjoying becoming a child again, and living in that magical world!  I like visual reminders that this world is a  mysterious place with many more dimensions than are normally recognized in our culture.  It is fascinating  experiencing it that way, and I like it when my camera catches glimpses of the mystery!  
Speaking of other dimensions,  my heart resonates with the lullaby I still sing to my grandchildren: "All day, all night, angels watching over you, my love."
Have you seen an angel lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment