Sunday, April 5, 2009

what's blooming in your life?

In the high desert country out here in the Sedona area of Arizona, the flowers of spring are beginning to bloom.   The little white ones you see in this picture are anemones, I am told.  Look at the rocky place they are growing.   As I walk outside in the desert these days, there are many beautiful flowers blooming---more of them every day.   It still startles me a bit to see them in what looks like such unlikely if not impossible places for flowers to bloom.  
      This experience has me reflecting on what has bloomed and is blooming in my life in unexpected and unlikely ways.  You might want to reflect on that with respect to your life too.   In my life, as in the desert out here, there are "wildflowers"--- I have no idea how they got started, or how they manage to flourish in this environment, but there they are.  I think of my playing the Native American flute as an example.
Where did that desire come from?  How and why is it flourishing in my life at this time and place?  My only musical training has been on the piano, and that was a long, long time ago!
It certainly gives me the same thrill of joy as seeing the beauty of wildflowers blooming among rocks.  Maybe that's all I need to understand.
       And then there's my recently blooming fascination with crop circles.  Where did that come from?  What seeds and soil brought this fascination into flower?   I did not do well in geometry in highschool, and avoided all math in college.  And crop circles are very much about "sacred geometry."  Again,  the only thing that makes sense to me is that they are radiantly beautiful, and beauty attracts me.   Especially if there is an element of mystery in it.  
       Maybe the important thing is not to figure out why, but to just be grateful for, and enjoy, what is flowering in my life right now.   I have the feeling that the more attention I pay to what is flowering, the more "flowers" I will realize are blooming in my life.  That seems a particularly fitting thing to become aware of in the spring.   

No comments:

Post a Comment