Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Delicious Wisdom


     On the entry deck of our Sedona house sits this colorful statue of a Mexican woman holding a selection of the fruits of the earth,  her eyes closed in a prayer of blessing or gratitude, or perhaps in meditation.  Above her I have inscribed the words "DELICIOUS WISDOM."       On the railing above her head is a lovely rainbow of stained glass with candles in front of it, given as a gift by Pam and Pete, friends at whose wedding I officiated.  I love to light the candles and sit out on the deck at night,  watching the colors glow in the dark, inviting me to prayer.
     Above the stained glass candle holder is a string of colorful prayer flags which flutter with every breeze that comes by.   They shall be the subject of another blog, since there is a lot they have to say.   For now, I want to reflect on "Delicious Wisdom."  
      I love how this contemplative statue reminds me that Wisdom is something to be relished, enjoyed, tasted, and digested, so that it becomes part of my very body and being.  Wisdom is as important to me as food.   As long as I can remember, I have always been hungry for Wisdom and harvesting its fruits from many sources;  books, family and friends, art, nature, events, dreams and visions, religions, the Inner Voice of the Spirit, and more.
     The colorful presence of Lady Wisdom, or Sophia, as a Mexican woman holding the fruit of the earth, accompanied by prayer flags and prayer candles,  is a wonderful way to remind me every day that our Sedona House, from the start,  was intended to be a House of Prayer,  not only for me, but all who dwell here or visit here, for however long.   
      I pray that over the years, Sedona House will indeed be a place where friends and family members will taste the fruit of wisdom and find it truly delicious and satisfying.
My heart fills with gratitude for the gift of Divine Wisdom given to me in such abundance from so many sources throughout my lifetime.  And I offer myself as one who holds out the fruits of Wisdom to all who are hungry for it.   

1 comment:

  1. I find that I appreciate wisdom more and more as I grow older. Perhaps, as I grow in wisdom, I can see more clearly it's value and depth. How I wished I had listened more to my grandmothers! How I wish I had asked them so much more!

    ReplyDelete