Saturday, February 28, 2009

We walk in beauty



     On this last day of February, 2009,  I choose two pictures which show the great beauty in which we walk.   You could take your own of the beauty in which you walk.   I hope you are able to get out in nature often, as we do, for nothing is more restoring to the body and soul.   T.V. and computers don't light a candle to what this gorgeous world has to offer if we will only receive it!
And when we don't, we suffer, and so does the world as we neglect both its well being and our own.  
     For those of you who may have thought that winter here in Sedona was always mild and sunny, take a good look at the snowy scene we have enjoyed more than once through this winter. What makes it different from winter in , let's say, Michigan, is that the snow is around for a day or two, and then is gone and the weather can turn so mild we can hike in shirt sleeves, as you can see from the other picture!   I, for one, am glad we get all kinds of weather here.  I love the variety, the surprise, the challenge, and the loveliness of every kind of day.   
      The hiking trail John and I took yesterday, which one of these pictures depicts, offered many surprising vistas.  It starts quite near town, and then veers off into the wilderness along the redstone cliffs you see in the background.   That is sometimes like life, it seems to me.   I start off on a day in a familiar way, and then find myself in unknown territory, with surprising vistas.
   It is good to pause at such times, and reflect on what I am encountering, and what it might be saying to me.  I am reminded of the truth that God is always talking to us--we just are not listening.   Or watching.   John and I found ourselves looking closely at the huge cliffs we were going by, and we saw some remarkable things that might otherwise have escaped our notice.
More on that tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment