Sunday, March 1, 2009

Let's Face It



      Okay, okay.....maybe we have been in Sedona's "Woowoo" atmosphere too long, but really now, are we so far off when we say that when we were hiking yesterday we were being watched?
     To us, the big face in the red rock cliff just jumped out at us.   Interesting expression, don't you think?  I think it's singing!   The other picture has three faces in the one paler colored rock:  the smiling profile on the top right of the rock seems somewhat obvious.   More subtle is the smiling face next to it in the middle; and very subtle is the big profile of a face partly shadowed on the middle left of the same rock structure, looking very enigmatic.     
     A Native American friend once told me that one of the tests for telling if you are a good candidate for "The Red Road"   (a path of Native American spirituality) is to see if you are able to make out faces and other shapes of creatures in big and little rocks.   If you can do that fairly easily,  you have an active right brain working with your left to enable you to intuit and imagine as well as analyze and think in linear fashion.     The ideal, of course, is balance and harmony between both sides of the brain, and both ways of functioning in life.   
     A book I read recently, titled "Stroke of Insight"   does a marvelous job, from an experiential and scientific point of view, of describing how differently the two sides of our brains function and how good it is to be able to use both sides well.   Judging from our experience so far, I think John and I have developed some significant right brain skill!   If our grandchildren had been along, I bet they would have seen even more faces and creatures in the rocks than we did.   And they could probably easily imagine what those faces were communicating, and why.   
     Let's face it,  faces are interesting, especially when you find them where you least expect them.   If you study faces, you can learn a lot about what may be going on behind them.
Some seem blank,  others are heavily masked,  still others are lively with thought and emotion easily read.   I remember an old saying to the effect that by the time we are past fifty, we have the face we deserve!   If our thoughts are habitually negative,  our face will not be pleasant to behold.  If we are prone to laughter and appreciation and positive attitudes,  our face will be a pleasure to behold, no matter how wrinkled with age.   
     One odd thing I have noticed is that it is not easy to look long and intensely into my own face, especially my eyes, and think " I love you," or "I am looking at the Image of God." But it helps me to remember a song I learned a couple years ago that goes like this: "I am the Face of God.  She holds me in Her heart. I am a part of All.  I am the Face of God."   Singing that to yourself as you look in the mirror is a challenge, and a good thing.   If you can't do it,  can you look at someone else's face and think "There is the Face of God." ?  If not, why not?     And where or what else might the Face of God Be?  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment