Saturday, March 28, 2009

Camel of Love: Judaism





Today is the Sabbath again....a day to rest, to be refreshed by allowing thoughts of God to flow through the mind, through the day, through all of life. 

Today's short saying from the devotional Hasidic tradition of Eastern Europe gave me another perspective on what happens when I go walking out on the land.   Of course, the same is true for you. 

When I was little, our family, which lived in Pakistan at the time, had a tradition of always going for a walk together along the canals of Lahore on Sunday afternoon.   When we were vacationing up in the mountains, we would walk a lovely mountain path in a leisurely way, stopping to use all our sense to see the beauty,  smell the fragrance of the flowers and pines, hear the singing of birds, and always, enjoy a picnic as far from any sign of civilization as possible.  I am grateful for the gift of this family tradition, and want to keep it alive.

May you enjoy the kind of walk described in this Hasidic saying sometime soon as a way of Keeping Sabbath in your own life.

"When you walk across the fields with your mind pure and holy,  
then from all the stones
and all growing things
and all animals
come the sparks of their souls, which come and cling to you,
and then they become a holy fire in you."
(from Earth Prayers)  

P.S.
Starting this coming week, beginning tomorrow, March 29, I will be doing "Camel of Love" blogs just once a week,  focusing on one of the great religious traditions each week.  Doing two blogs almost daily has become a bit intense!  (probably for you who read my blogs too!)
So, The Camel of Love will come bearing treasures, probably on Mondays, (if the caravan does well) and we will enjoy an oasis of contemplation of wisdom from the world's Wisdom Traditions weekly.  I hope you continue to join me.   I will be continuing my daily blogs with musings on various things that inspire me, as usual.  Its good to be sharing all this with you.
Thank you for "listening."      with much love and many blessings to all of you.......

No comments:

Post a Comment