Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Camel of Love: Taoism



Today I honor the wisdom of Taoism.  
I prepare to write this blog as I sit on my meditation sofa overlooking the valley and red rock mountains and listen to music from China.  Music is, for me, the best entry into the soul of another culture and religion.  
Having soaked in the music awhile, I turn to two collections of interfaith prayers and passages:
Earth Prayers, edited by Elizabeth Roberts and Elias Amidon, and God Makes the Rivers to Flow by Eknath Easwaren.
The first selection today is by Li Po: 

You ask why I perch
on a jade green mountain?
I laugh, but say nothing
my heart free
like a peace blossom
in the flowing stream going by,
in the depths  in another world
not among men.

The second selection is by Lao Tzu, founder of Taoism, author of the Tao Te Ching, according to tradition.

The best, like water, benefit all, and do not compete.
They dwell in lowly spots that everyone else may scorn.
Putting others before themselves,
They find themselves in the foremost place,
And come very near to the Tao.
In their dwelling, they love the earth.
In their heart, they love what is deep.
In personal relationships, they love kindness.
In their words they love truth.
In the world, they love peace.
In personal affairs, they love what is right.
In action, they love choosing the right time.
It is because they do not compete with others
That they are beyond the reproach of the world.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

"In action, they love choosing the right time."

That phrase is one that resonates deeply with me.
One can do the right thing, but if the time is not right, or better, ripe, it can turn out not to have been a wise thing to do, at least at that time.   Timing is so important in making choices,
responding to situations, starting something new, letting go of something old, etc. etc.
Taoist teachers tell us that ease and flow are marks that the time is right for something.
If there is a sense of force, of having to "make it happen,"  it could be the timing is off.
If a decision needs to be made, and there is still a lot of doubt, confusion, or lack of peace,
it could be one simply needs to wait until things ripen more,  and become clear.
Waiting is hard for many of us, given our culture of instant gratification, but there is much to recommend it.  And at least in our imaginations, we can sit with Li Po on that jade green mountain and watch peach blossoms float by on the river while we are waiting.  

1 comment:

  1. Marty,
    I had just posted my own blog about waiting and Faith knowing waiting is always for a reason, a higher good... when I read your blog. SynchroDivinity in action, as Sherry would call it. It spoke volumes to me. I wait, and chant "All Is Well".. to remind myself of what is, not to make it so.
    Love,
    Sue F

    ReplyDelete