Monday, March 2, 2009

the wonders of cyberspace communication


     Having been without easy access to my internet connection for ten days down in Florida, I am appreciating the ease of communication provided by being able to get on my computer any time, and see loved ones while talking to them on Skype, or review and write my blogs and look for comments from those of you who read it  (always much appreciated!) or read and respond to daily emails.   There was a time, as my children can attest, when I was very resistant to the very idea of being on a computer.   When I got used to that,  I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into using email.   I only got talked into using Skype, because Rachel, my youngest, was off on a year long adventure around the world as host of Animal Planet's show "Ms. Adventure," and in many of the remote locations she was traveling to,  Skype was the best choice for connecting. What else could I do?   As if all of this were not enough,  I even got talked recently into blogging by a dear friend.   Which is why you are reading this.
     All this comes to mind as I post the picture today.  I took it while lying on my back in the sun on one of our deck lounge chairs, gazing up at the blue sky, white clouds, and branches of the pine trees that grace our yard, and ah, that funny little square white thig-a-ma-bob sticking out from the roof of the house.  Come to find out its a fixture installed by the ComSpeed folks out here to make it possible for us to get on the internet.   
      This boggles my mind.   I have no clear idea of how a little thing like that,  and the router to which it is somehow connected, work with my computer  (something I understand even less) to create this magic of being able to sit here typing words on a screen and know that you will be able to read them!!!!   How do they fly through the air like that?   How do they come out on your computer?   What wizardry allows us to connect with each other not only with words but pictures through thin air and endless space???    When anyone has tried to explain it to me, I think they can tell by the glazed look in my eyes that I am not getting it at all.   To me, all this modern communication technology is just old fashioned Magic like genies popping out of lamps when you rub them, etc.  only in modern guise.   They call these genies names like electronics and airwaves and superconductors and microchips etc. but I know what they really are!
You can't fool an old fairy-land visitor like me!   Those elves and goblins and fairies are still finding ways of luring us into the unknown and putting us under their spells and enchantments.
When I see someone glued to the T.V. or computer, for instance, it sure looks like an enchantment to me.   
      So here's to modern wizardry and cyberspace and the miracles of mysterious communication as we all get woven together into the World Wide Web.    I wonder Who or What the Spider is??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment